All players must wear protective equipment for all games (including warm-ups), practices and skills clinics. It is very important to not only have the right equipment, but ensure that it fits properly. If you ever have questions about equipment or need a fit check, you can reach out anytime.
- Helmet with protective cage or bubble (travel players should have a white helmet)
- Neck guard
- Mouth guard (strongly suggested)
- Shoulder pads
- Elbow pads
- Gloves (travel players should have black gloves)
- Cup or pelvic protector
- Hockey pants
- Shin pads
- Skates with skate guards
- Stick cut to the proper length
- Jersey + socks (see below for add'l info)
Skates should be sharpened every 10-15 hrs of skate time, though this can vary based on your player.
Jersey and socks will be provided to House League players as part of the program.
Travel players will purchase a uniform package that will include the required jerseys and game socks. Uniform fittings take place every spring and is also a chance to order additional items like WHC branded gloves and equipment bags.
Uniform package includes:
- Reversible practice jersey
- Home jersey + socks
- Away jersey + socks
- Tournament jersey + socks
- Hockey shell/pant cover (optional for Mites)
Jersey numbers will align with players' birth year
- Odd-numbered birth years will have odd jersey numbers
- Even numbered birth years will have even jersey numbers
- Goalies will typically receive a number in the 30s
Players are assigned a number when they enter the program that they keep for the duration of their tenure with Winnetka Hockey. These numbers become very important to our players! We understand that there can be connections to certain numbers and aversions to others, but we are also responsible for making sure there are no duplications. You are welcome to inform our uniform partner, Home Ice of a preferred number, but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to honor it.
Equipment Loaner Program
The Winnetka Park District has loaner equipment available for NO CHARGE to children in the Hockey Skating programs or the House League. This will fit most all children ages 5-8.
Simply go to the front desk of the Ice Arena and fill out a form with your credit card number. The equipment needs to be returned at the conclusion of the season.